sobota, 24 stycznia 2009

For no lost souls will live on forever... tudududum!

So, I’ve noticed that fantasy-based music is more an European thing than the American. Of course I may be wrong, I just don’t know any from America, and I know loads of European ones. We have DragonForce, Elvenking, Nightwish, Summoner, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, and many, many more. Do we try to prove the common saying we’re less embarrassing than Americans is wrong?
But that’s not the thing.
It has been always surprising me, but I really love the idea of these bands. They often are awful in a musical way with pretentious, ridiculous lyrics and it’s impossible to look at the band members without laughing. And most of them is metal, I’m not a metal music person. But… there is definitely something in it. For a fantasy geek, singing about fairy lands and great quests is touching, even if it’s not, well, good. Touching, moving and brings smile to my face. There is this high-fantasy 'go and fight the darkness' thing which makes life more magical and gives hope that not everything has to be gray and dull. Of course not every band and every song, some are just too bad and annoying. The rest can’t be taken serious as well, but sometimes it’s a real pleasure to listen to them - sometimes they're really GOOD. Also motivating, how can you feel hopeless or sad when you hear such words:

Sometimes in your darkest dreams
you will feel the haunting pain
Silent tears of your hidden fears come to haunt you once again
Fight on for the memories
of the everlasting dream
Their pain in the silent
lands on wings of glory free

We can go on forever with the darkness so far away
And the warriors who live forever
fight on 'till the end

And I may be rolling my eyes, but my highly developed idealistic part longs for such feelings. It’s a nice combination, I can be happy and heroic with self-ironic distance, which is both satisfying and safe.
And last, but not least, I love the idea of power metal/folks fantasy bands because of the epic fail they bring. It’s so obvious why they are legendary in some circles. Just watch it, and no explanation will be needed:



So, yes, I'm not ashamed to say I listen to power metal. Yay.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz